Starting April 14, 2009, I am posted as National Assessment and Examination Framework Specialist for the Samoa Education Sector Project II (ESPII). I will be serving as Consultant for this ADB-funded project for a total of 12 man-months.
This is my first assignment in the Pacific Region and it is really challenging! I am sharing you how Educational Assessment is practiced here in Samoa and in other Pacific Island countries.
- Samoa Primary Education Literacy Levels (SPELL) Test for Year 4
- SPELL Test for Year 6
- Year 8 National Examinations
- Samoan School Certificate Examinations for Year 12
- Pacific Senior Secondary Level Exams for Year 13 (administered by the South Pacific Board of Education Assessment based in Fiji)
- To monitor the literacy level in the primary levels focusing on English, Gagana Samoa and Numeracy.
- For certification at the end of the primary level, and for ranking purpose to do selection to government senior schools (Avele College, Samoa College and Vaipouli College)
- For certification and selection to Year 13 level
- For certification and selection to university and other tertiary institutions. This test is administered by South Pacific Board of Education Assessment based in Fiji.